Monday 30 March 2009

Artist vs Designer

This was a brief that particularly interested me as it gave an opportunity to write as well as design. We simply had to write an article about the debate of Artists vs Designers and the issues involved. The article then had to be put into a double page spread, with relevant images and headings.    

 The writing process I actually found really interesting as I had to do lots of research on the subject, and found out a lot of  information about and around the
subject. Sourcing appropriate imagery was harder, as not only did the subject matter need to be considered but also the quality of the images. 
  
 It was an interesting process as I realised how important all the components of the page are, as if one doesn't work very well neither will the rest, for example if the heading isn't very strong the viewer may not even take the time to read the rest of the article and simply skim past it. It took a lot of designing to get something that I was anywhere near happy with and even when I look at my final layout design now I can see a lot that I would want to change.



 























An early design mainly playing with headings and sub headings.






























Experimenting with the imagery.





























A more traditional style design, using serif typefaces and long amounts of text.






























My final design, I still think more could be done to this. The second page in particular could be more 'interesting', in particular with the image style and placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment